University of Connecticut University of UC Title Fallback Connecticut

Dean Certifications and Background Checks

There are typically two types of requests for histories that Community Standards receives: Dean Certifications (transfers, graduate school) and Background Checks. Typically, because our student conduct system is designed to be educational rather than punitive, it is our practice to comment on student conduct only if the student is either currently on University Probation, has not completed his/her sanctions, or has received a sanction of Suspension or Expulsion. Government agencies will receive the entire student conduct history. If the individual and/or agency requesting the information needs all of the student’s conduct history, this must be clearly articulated in the request.

If you are a student or former student:

  • You must provide us with a completed and signed dean certification form(s) well in advance of your deadline. Forms will not be completed immediately. Forms will be available for pick-up or mailed (provided you have included a preaddressed, stamped envelope) five business days after the form is delivered to Community Standards. Incomplete requests or requests received without a stamped envelope will not be processed.
  • If the institution you are applying to requires that our office mail it directly to them, you must provide a stamped and addressed envelope when you drop off your form(s). If you do not provide an envelope you may pick up your paperwork after five business days.
  • In lieu of a form, you can provide a preaddressed and stamped envelope and a letter that includes the following:
    • Your full name as it was while you were a student at the University of Connecticut
    • Your student ID number and/or date of birth
    • Your current mailing address and phone number
    • The names and addresses of the schools or institutions to which you want your conduct information mailed
  • Community Standards will not fax Dean Certification forms. This is the responsibility of the student.

For background checks, if you are with a government agency or if you are a private contractor:

  • We will not be able to provide you with information immediately.
  • You will need to leave your paperwork/forms with Community Standards along with your business card. You will be called back with the results when they are ready. This will not be the same business day and could take at least a week.
  • Whether you notify us of your request via telephone, fax or by visiting our office in person, you need to choose one method of obtaining this information and remain consistent. For example, if you must make personal contact with our office, do not also fax or call our office. Multiple requests for the same information causes delays.